Saturday, January 29, 2011

First Post- Kool Aid Wool

I dye quite a bit of my own wool roving. I don't really care for chemical dying. The pots and pans need to be dedicated to dying, you need gloves and on and on. So I gave Kool Aid a try. You can get some great colors by combining flavors. Your kitchen smells fruity and you can use your pots and bowls for food again. So far it has been a fun experience. The only downfall is finding certain flavors.I have had to go to 3 different stores in our area to find green; and when I find it I stock up on it. This is probably because I live in a rural area and the nearest town is only about 16,000 population.

When you dye with KoolAid you first boil the water. Add desired packets, I usually add 2-3 to 6 cups of water.
Remove the pot from the heat source. Add roving making sure its completely saturated but not disturbing it by poking it too much, otherwise it will felt. Then I transfer it to a bowl to cool. During this cooling process the wool soaks up all the color from the KoolAid. The water will actually turn clear, Neat huh? But don't drink it.
Now here is my thought .........
The water turns clear right, because the wool is a natural material. Your fingers turn colors, your tongue if you drink KoolAid. What grosses me out is this; do your insides turn colors when you drink KoolAid? Is my stomach lining atomic green? Are my bowels passion Purple? I mean really? I don't know but this is my thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there comments are moderated it may take a few moments for them to appear ;)
Thanks